<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 15, 2005

Generally, if I see a girl I like, my first step is to try and make eye contact with her. If that works, I will smile at her. And if she smiles back, I'll say hi. And if she says hi back, I know the hard part is behind me and I can proceed to chat and flirt with her. But girls can be so shy sometimes--to the point where just getting past the smiling stage can be agonizingly difficult. A good example happened this past weekend at the grocery store.

I was in the produce section when I happened to notice a very pretty girl, probably in her twenties, who was very much dressed for the hot summer day that it was. Not slutty--just extremely alluring. She was with an older lady who I'm guessing was probably her mom. It was very hard to keep my eyes off of the younger one, given her obvious natural beauty combined with her warm-weather shortage of clothing, but I did my very best to be subtle. During the course of making my way through the store, up and down the aisles, I passed her several times, glancing briefly at her each time, and each time she would look back at me for just a split second with the faintest hint of a little smile--but no more--never allowing me to get to the point where I felt I could drop a quick "hi" in her direction.

So by the time I got to the checkout I had pretty much given up on her when, wouldn't you know it, she and her mom pulled up behind me with their cart. Coincidence? I wonder. But alas, she still could not bring herself to look directly at me (although she seemed very interested in my two-year-old son who was shamelessly smiling and making all kinds of eyes at her).

So then finally, I was out in the parking lot getting my son strapped into his car seat and loading the groceries into the back when I noticed the two of them again. This time they were in their car and were pulling out of the parking lot. But then they stopped, backed up, and pulled over next to me. The mom, who was driving, rolled down her window and told me how much she loved my car (it's an antique) and how she and her husband had had the same car years ago when their daughter was just a baby. And all of a sudden, as if some spell had been broken, her daughter was all smiles at me, craning to see around her mother, looking me right in the eye, telling me how much she loved my car too, asking the year, make, and model, and generally being all kinds of flirty and friendly.

But of course at that point it was a little too late. There's no way I'm gonna do any serious flirting with a girl through the driver's window of a car while her mom sits in between us in the driver's seat with the engine idling.

Oh well. At least she provided me with some nice fantasy material when I got home.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

site