<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 17, 2005

This was a weekend of mixed results. Saturday morning my wife and I had a nice little romp in bed before the kids got up, but Saturday evening was kind of a bust.

Originally I had planned to go downtown to a huge once-a-month dance party at one of my favorite rock clubs. Being primarily a venue for live rock acts, this club tends to be more casual and much less pretentious than a typical big-city dance club, and there are always tons of cute girls there during these monthly dance parties. It's a hook-up mecca, quite frankly. I've missed the last two or three months, so this time I was really looking forward to it.

But then, as you know, this past Wednesday my wife and I had an unexpected reconciliation and renewed interest in trying to make things work between each other.

So I felt torn. Certainly it didn't seem right anymore to go looking for girls to hook up with when my wife and I were supposed to be trying to patch up our marriage. So I decided to stay home. I asked her if she'd like to rent a video, and she seemed game. She left the choice of the movie up to me, so that's when I posted my previous entry, asking for help from my readers. I got a lot of good suggestions and picked what I thought would be the best bet: a popular mainstream romantic comedy that did very well at the box office.

So we put the kids to bed, cuddled up with some ice cream in front of the TV, and...

...She hated it.

After about the first five minutes she sat up straight, crossed her arms, and proceeded to look annoyed, yawn, and sigh loudly every five minutes for the duration of the film. Every now and then she made a disparaging comment about how the movie sucked. Twice I suggested that she didn't have to watch it if she hated it so much, but she said, no, we might as well finish it since we had it.

The irony is that I loved the movie. I thought it was cute, funny, sexy, and...well...romantic, dammit.

As you might suspect, she was not in the mood by the time the movie was over, and was pretty much her old crabby self for the rest of the weekend. I kind of wish I had gone to the club after all, but I'm not going to let one setback ruin everything. At Kayten's suggestion, last Thursday I drew a red heart on the calendar for this coming Wednesday, and hopefully my wife's mood will be improved by then.

Oh and you know what? I spent several hours this afternoon doing yardwork and getting dirty, but was disappointed that at no point did anyone ask me to "Dance for me, baby!" or "Shake that sweet thing!"

Maybe it's because I was wearing boxers instead of tighty-whities.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

site