<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 09, 2005

A couple of you were curious about what goes on when I go out to a club, so for those who are interested, here's an account of how things went for me at a dance club last night. I actually had a pretty good time, which is surprising because my previous experiences with dance clubs have generally been poor. Being a punk-rocker at heart, I tend to hate the synth-techno-pop music that they play at most of the dance clubs, but this place was a little different in that it is normally a rock club that hosts live bands, but once a month they do this dance club thing. So I tried it and was not disappointed. The music was still a little poppish, but not nearly as bad as my past experiences, and after a couple beers even some mediocre music can start to sound good.

When I walked in the door there was a short line of people waiting to pay the cover charge and have their IDs checked, so I got in line and the girl in front of me turned around and we smiled at each other. She was super cute and looked way too young. But then when they checked her ID and stamped her hand they gave her an over-21 stamp, which is old enough for me, so I made a mental note to find her later.

The layout of this club consists of a big room on the second floor, a medium-sized room on the first floor, and a smaller room, also on the first floor. The big room upstairs is basically a large dance floor with two long bars, one on either side. The medium-sized room downstairs has a large bar area, tables, couches, a pool table, and a jukebox. And then the smaller room has a small bar, a small dance floor, and a small stage. The best beer is in the medium-sized room, as is the huge, tall cigarette machine on top of which I usually stash my coat since there's no coat room. So that's where I went first. They have a Belgian beer on tap called Stella Artois which is very good. Because I had gotten a late start out of the house I decided to drive instead of take the subway, so I took just enough cash with me for the cover charge and three or four beers, assuring me a safe, sober drive home.

There was a pretty blonde girl about my age, maybe a little younger, standing around in the medium room with a group of guys and girls. She looked up when I came in the room and we smiled at each other. As it would turn out, we kept running into each other throughout the evening, eyes locking for a little too long, smiling at each other, but she never did leave her group and never went upstairs to the dance floor, and since I felt uncomfortable busting into her group, I never did get a chance to talk to her or dance with her. Stupid mistake #1.

After I got my beer I wandered over to the small room and noticed a sign indicating that there was a special party going on in there for bloggers. Yes, bloggers. WTF?! It was open to the public, so I went in to check it out. I wondered if people would be exchanging blog URLs or something. Wouldn't that be funny?

"Uh, yeah, so, I have a sex blog called Koochie Taster..."

But no. Instead it turned out to be pretty lame. Just a DJ and some people hanging out talking. Bored, I left and decided to head upstairs.

When I got upstairs the first thing I noticed was the cute little hottie who had smiled at me in line when I first came in. She was standing up against the wall all alone while plenty of other people were dancing. Passing her for the moment, I decided to recon the room, checking out the bars, the dance floor, and of course all the girls. There were tons of hot chicks, and everyone seemed to be in a good party mood. Out on the dance floor one of the girls came up to me and told me she loved my shirt which was actually brand new that night. Credit for that compliment goes to Vortexia for encouraging me to buy some new shirts. In retrospect, I should have stopped and danced with the girl who gave me the compliment, but I was still checking the place out and getting a feel for the atmosphere, so I just smiled, thanked her, and moved on, figuring I could find her again in a bit. Sadly I never did. Stupid mistake #2.

Eventually I doubled back and found the cutie who had been standing against the wall, although by this time she had found a table and was sitting down sipping a drink. A really good song (White Stripes - Hotel Yorba) had just started playing and, starting to feel like I was ready to dance, I went over to her, reached out my hand and said, "Dance with me?" She looked up, smiled, and then got up and followed me back to the dance floor. We danced for a while, and I took full advantage of the opportunity to admire her tight young body. She also had the prettiest eyes, and remined me a little bit of Winona Ryder. Eventually, though, some sucky song came on that she said she didn't want to dance to, so we headed back to her table. She looked so young that I asked her if she was a student, but she said that in fact she was a high-school teacher in the inner-city. For some reason they always put the young teachers fresh out of college into the worst high-schools in the biggest slums. I met some other hot, young, teacher chicks at a party a while back and the same was true for them. I guess it's a combination of lack of seniority and some sort of weed-out process. No wonder they have trouble getting good teachers. Anyway, after talking to her for a while I decided I wanted to play the field some more, so I told her I'd be out on the dance floor if she wanted to dance again. Unfortunately, by the time I got back to her table she had disappeared. I never did get her phone number. Stupid mistake #3.

So then at some point a while later I was standing by the bar about to order another beer when I noticed a very cute girl looking kind of confused. I asked her what was the problem and she said she was trying to find out if they take credit cards. I told her I didn't think so, cash only, at which point she said she didn't have any cash. The first thing I thought was that this was some sort of ploy to get me to buy her a drink, but then it occurred to me that this girl was so damn cute that it might be worth it to buy her a drink regardless. So I offered. At first she hesitated, saying that she didn't want to impose, but then she agreed. I bought a drink for each of us and, ploy or not, it turned out to be a good deal because she was very friendly and we ended up talking for quite some time. She said she was a college student who had just moved here for the spring semester with a group of other students on some sort of exchange program from a college in California. She wanted to know what were the good nightclubs in town, and we got to talking about the city and how it has improved so dramatically in recent years. Eventually, I chided her about nursing her drink and told her she better finish it off and get out on the dance floor. She polished it off and then said she wanted to find her friends who had come with her and were out on the dance floor somewhere. By this time I really needed to hit the john, though, so she told me to track her down later on if I wanted to dance with her.

After using the can I decided to go downstairs and see if anything new was happening at the "Blogger" party. There were more people, but it still didn't seem to have anything to do with blogging, and there weren't nearly as many cuties as there were on the second floor. So I hung out for a few minutes and then went back upstairs.

Making my way around the dance floor I eventually found the cute college girl again. When she saw me she yelled, "Hi KT!" and then proceeded to introduce me to her even cuter friend, Missy. Missy wanted to dance, so we danced together for a while. She was so cute it was hard to keep from grabbing her and kissing her, and her hot little body had me totally mesmerized as she moved to the music, occasionally brushing against me. The only problem with being out on the dance floor was that it was so loud we couldn't talk, so after a while I gestured to see if she'd like to move off of the floor to the back of the room where the tables were.

She seemed agreeable, and started to follow me, but as we went past the bar she stopped and asked me if I wanted to get a drink. I said yes, but then realized that I only had enough cash for one more drink so there was no way I'd be able to pay for hers. She ordered for both of us and I handed her my cash which she gave to the bartender. But of course it wasn't enough for both drinks and he told her he needed more. She paused for a moment and then pulled out her purse, fished around for the balance, and handed it to him. She then handed me my drink and I made a motion to continue heading over to the tables, but she said she wanted to go back to her friends. I wasn't sure whether she was miffed that I hadn't paid for her drink, whether she never understood me in the first place about wanting to go to the tables, or whether she really just wanted to go back and dance. So I felt a little awkward and said OK, deciding not to follow her back onto the dance floor. And anyway, by this time it was really getting quite late. It was after 1:00 and I had told my wife I would be home by 2:00. I hadn't had a chance to ask Missy or her cute friend for their phone numbers, but not being sure what had just happened at the bar, I decided it would be easier to just call it a night. So somewhere in there is what I'll call stupid mistakes #4 and #5.

So there it is. The report of my night in excruciating detail. I got there late and had to leave early, but I got to dance and chat with several very cute girls. My only regret is that I completely blew it with the phone numbers. But for my first time in years at a dance club I figure I didn't do so terribly bad. Now I just need to figure out when they're having this thing again. And next time I need to bring more cash and try to get my phone numbers as early on as possible. Any other suggestions? I would especially appreciate any advice on meeting and talking with the girls. One can never have too much help in that department.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

site